Frequently Asked Questions

Land and property development can seem like a maze of complicated legal requirements and cooperation with local authorities. Years of experience has put RMS Surveyors in a prime position to guide developers and individuals alike through this maze, making projects easier and hassle-free. Keep reading for our answers to the most frequently asked questions. They might help put you in the right direction.
What is surveying?
This University of Otago article gives a clear definition: 
Who are LINZ?
Land Information New Zealand (LINZ) holds authoritative information about land surveys and ownership, topographic maps and nautical charts.
I am about to build a house, what survey do I need and how long will it take?
A Topographical Site Survey will gather the right information so your architect or building designer can design your new building in harmony with the existing landform and in accordance with any restrictive covenants and Council rules.  The field work will normally take 1-2 days of site work and another 1-2 days of processing.
I want to build a fence, how do I find my boundaries?
Only a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor can reliably locate and re-peg your boundaries.
I am fencing my boundary, building a new house or garage.  Do I have to get the pegs located by a surveyor?
It is wise to have your boundaries pegged before undertaking this work. You can then be sure that your fence will be on the correct boundary or your building will comply with Council yard requirements, thus avoiding potentially costly disputes with neighbours and resource consent issues with Council.
If I have found my pegs, can I rely on them?
The only way to ensure your pegs are reliable is to have them checked by a Licensed Cadastral Surveyor. It is very common for pegs to have been moved or incorrectly identified.
Do I have to fence my boundary?
You should seek legal advice with respect to this issue.
How do I subdivide my land?
The first step is to discuss your requirements with a Registered Professional Surveyor. Please contact us and allow us to help you achieve your required outcomes.
What is a limited title?
All title to land in New Zealand is guaranteed by the Crown; however on some old titles the Crown has limited the guarantee.  Generally this limitation is “as to Parcels”, meaning the area and boundary position of the property are not guaranteed.  A removal of limitations survey will remove this limitation on the Crown's guarantee by surveying the property and lodging plans with LINZ.
What is a cross lease title?
Cross lease titles are based on undivided ownership of the underlying land and then reciprocal leases (cross leases) between the parties for the area that the buildings occupy.  Exclusive use covenant areas are also utilised to define those areas that can be used by one or other party or jointly (common areas).
I have a cross lease title; can I convert it to freehold?
For most properties this is a viable option as long as all landowners are in agreement. Please feel free to discuss your requirements with us.  All conversions of cross lease tenure to free hold tenure require a subdivision application to your local Council. Requirements differ depending on which Council you deal with.
Do you use GPS?
Yes we do. The equipment we use is state of the art RTK system. It is more specialised equipment than GPS systems used in personal hand held devices and navigation systems in boats and cars.
Share by: